With Polly Agar & Nickie Aven (Joint Managers of Bala Brook)
Summer solstice celebrations are rooted in a time when our ancestors were in harmony with their surroundings and at one with the rhythms of the earth. We invite you to join us on retreat and give yourself the gift of time to relax and reconnect with yourself and the earth beneath your feet.
By bringing a gentle focus to our immediate environment we aim to open a space for creativity and connection the the Earth and nature, allowing us to experience the spaciousness and freedom that already exists but that we may have forgotten.
Activities are all optional but include:
- Guided walks and meditation
- Creative Earth workshops, inspired by the lengthening days and including writing, image making and singing
- Nourishing, lovingly prepared vegetarian food
- Beautiful, newly refurbished accommodation
- Plenty of time to relax and enjoy the sacred land surrounding Bala Brook.
- No former experience is needed and we will provide pens, paper and art materials. If you wish to bring your own notebook, journal or mobile phone/camera to record you work please feel free to do so.
Nickie and Polly are the current managers of Bala Brook. Before taking on this role they had dreamed of running workshops together around their shared passions of nature and creativity. When the opportunity came up to run their own retreats at Bala Brook they jumped at the chance to share their ideas with others and Bala Awakens was born…
Since childhood Nickie has loved all forms of creativity and has a passion for sharing this love. She is an experienced leader and takes great joy in holding groups where she encourages you to tap into your creative spirit without there being any expectation of a finished result. This, she believes, gives you great freedom to enjoy the process of creativity. She is at her happiest being outside in nature, sitting or walking beside the river Avon near her home. She has had a meditation practice for all of her adult life.
Polly also has a love of nature and a creative soul, mostly based around food and writing. She co-hosts a monthly creative writers’ group where writers’ voices can be heard and encouraged. During a retreat at Bala some years ago she was introduced to the book “Stop, look, breathe, create” It opened her eyes to a whole new world of mindful creativity which she hopes to share with you on this retreat.
We both look forward to welcoming you to Bala Awakens to Midsummer.